History

Batu Pahat

Batu Pahat, 1980

According to local lore, Batu Pahat or chiselled rock in Malay has a history that goes back to 1546, when the invading Siamese troops were digging for fresh water in the village of Kampung Minyak Beku during their siege of Portuguese held Malacca. Whether true or not, there is evidence that, prior to the Hindu Java-based Majapahit empire which controlled the Peninsula in the 14th century, the Siamese kings had brought most of the Peninsula under their control so that there could have been some initial Siamese contestation to the Portuguese conquest of Malacca. 

Another version places the town’s beginnings to an even earlier period of a failed Siamese attack on Malacca during the reign of Sultan Muzaffar Shah who ruled from 1446 to 1459. After capturing Melaka, the Portuguese built the “A Famosa” fortress of granite rocks taken from the mouth of Sungai Batu Pahat. The town thus may have acquired its name from the quarries near the estuary. Also known for its salted fish in the past, Batu Pahat was formerly also known as Bandar Penggaram, which means town of salt-makers. Despite its early beginnings, Batu Pahat did not take off until 1893 when Dato’ Muhamad Salleh bin Perang aka Dato’ Bentara Luar with the approval of Sultan Abu Bakar initiated the establishment of the new township. 

 

Batu Pahat Town?

Batu Pahat dihubungkan melalui pengangkutan awam tempatan dan kedua-duanya antara kawasan sekitarnya dan antara bandar. Ianya adalah:

  • Terminal Bas (Perkhidmatan bas ekspres, tempatan dan bas antara bandar. Selain itu, teksi juga boleh didapati di terminal)
  • Terminal Feri (Terminal feri yang baru terletak di Minyak Beku, perkhidmatan pelabuhan Indonesia di Tanjung Balai, Bangkalis dan Batam)
  • Keretapi berkelajuan tinggi (Pelan cadangan untuk membina stesen pertukaran di Batu Pahat)

Total Populations

0
Batu Pahat populations